05 November 2008

Situation Normal - Butcher It


M Linden addressed the masses today in his blog called A Letter to Second Life Residents. I think that everything he said makes complete sense but, then again, I was all for raising the rates for those abusing the intent of OpenSpace sims.

I am glad to see that the people who use the OpenSpace sims in their original intent can simply contact concierge team by, what I am assuming, the date of the increase, Jan 5, 2009. This is wonderful news for those who were suffering because of the many others abusing the rules of OpenSpace usage.

To appease those with the gripe that they made homes on these sims, LL have added a new product called homesteads which will see a more gradual increase for the rate hike. All OpenSpace sims not in compliance will be changed to Homestead sims and starting Jan 5, 2009 be charged $95 maintenance fee and then in July this will increase again to $125. The Homestead sims will have limits imposed on avatars, prims, and scripts. (More information here.)

I take my hat off to M and Jack because they really bent over backwards to make as many complainers as possible happy. It is clear that my suspicion of the strain on their servers was a large factor in changing these prices and how the OpenSpace system works. The bottom line is that if you do not want to follow the rules there will be consequences.

To those who argued that it was okay to violate the usage for OpenSpace because they gave you so many prims I have this thought to leave you with: I can go to Tesco, WalMart, and the like and buy a butcher knife but this does not mean that I now have to right to go on a killing rampage with the knife because I know this is against the law(rules).

Update: Apparently this is not good enough for some but we know the real reason why. These are the people that have been abusing the OpenSpaces all along and must convert to Homesteads now. In the words of the great one: Deal with it.

Related blogs:
Homesteads: The resolution to the Openspace Sim Issue
Is The New Openspace Pricing Policy Fair? Read The Summary, Take The Survey
Linden Lab Offers Even Worse Openspace Deal
M Has Spoken
M Pulls the Wool Over People's Eyes
Openspace Announcement Up
Open Spaces Announcement & Talk with M and Jack Linden
The Openspaces Exodus Scenario (A Roadmap)

No comments: